Friday, April 1, 2011

Pickled Vinegar Green Chillies in a Jiffy



I was pleasantly surprised to find pickled green chillies had been thoughtfully included and served as a condiment with the chicken noodles on board a SQ flight from Singapore to Ho Chi Min City. Sight of pickle green chillies always evokes memories of my childhood. I can see the wanton mee seller piling a spoonful of prickled green chillies to side of the freshly cooked noodle with char siew (Chinese BBQ pork) and succulent wanton as a takeaway from the stall. We knew the pickled green chillies were so crunchy and appetising with the noodle that we usually asked for an extra spoonful from him. As usual, wanton mee uncle obliged without fail but not before reminding us how the price of green chillies was going up in the market. These delicious pickles are not only delicious but so simple to make especially when they only take a jiffy to be ready and served with your wanton mee or sar hor fun.

Pickled Vinegar Green Chillies

300g green chillies
2-3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
250ml vinegar

Wash the green chillies and cut diagonally into 1/2cm thick slices. Transfer cut chillies to a mixing bowl and sprinkles with sea salt, and let stand for 1 hour. Boil vinegar and sugar to dissolve the sugar and leave to cool before using. Wash, drain and discard chillies seeds before put them in a sterilised jar with a screw-top lid. Add vinegar and leave to pickle at least 2 days before serving.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Phil!

    It's Albert here, Dorothy's son.
    I just had the exact same dish on a SQ flight from Shanghai to Singapore.

    Pickled green chillies just seem to go well with almost any kind of noodles~ =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Albert,
    Thanks for visiting and reading your 三舅's blog. They are meant for you guys. Haha

    Cheers,
    三舅

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should be 500ml and not 50ml.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for pointing out the amount of the vinegar. It was meant to be 250ml. I will correct the recipe.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most welcome. I made a mistake with the salt, I added them with the vinegar and sugar. Now I am going to have salty green pickle!!! I will try to remedy it by replacing the vinegar tomorrow. Hopefully that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous,
    Can you find the same green chillies pickle in Cambodia?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi U. Phil,
    I've made this a couple of times now and while I am not an "eaxact measure" cook and tend to add the quantity by feel/sight, the pickled green chillies have turned out fantastic and reminds me of home/Singapore while having homemade noodles in wintry Adelaide. Thanks for the recipe.
    K :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many days can I store this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps weel in the fridge up to a fortnight.

      Delete
  9. I ordered a hor fun from petaling st in Melbourne and was so disappointed to find out that they didnt have the green chillies! Totally not the same taste without them so I'm going to make them myself now.

    Thanks for this recipe.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog. Hope you enjoy your home made vinegared green chillies.

      Delete
  10. Hi Uncle Phil,

    Can I ask what type of vinegar you used in this recipe? Would normal white vinegar suit or Chinese rice wine vinegar?

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      I normally prefer to use cider vinegar in my cooking.

      Delete